Needed Advice on John Wayne Movies

Forum for English speaking members!
Come here and talk with other fans.
Little One
Chasseur de primes

Needed Advice on John Wayne Movies

Message par Little One »

I am working through watching John Wayne's films, but I would appreciate some help from people who know more about them than I do. Does anyone know if there are any profanities in the following films, and, if so, how much? I tried watching "Big Jake" and it had a little too much swearing than is good for me personally, so I would like some help before I try other later John Wayne films.

I am curious about:

"Rio Bravo"

"The Comancheros"

"The Sons of Katie Elder"

"Rio Lobo"

"Chisum"

"The Train Robbers"

"Cahill, U.S. Marshall"

"Rooster Cogburn"

"The Horse Soldiers"

"The Undefeated"

"McQ"
Modifié en dernier par Little One le 18 mai 2020 22:38, modifié 1 fois.
"Death, you WILL die." - Mingo (Daniel Boone - Episode 1.14)

John 3:16
Romans 6:23
1 Corinthians 15:26,54-57
Revelation 21:3-4
major dundee
Marshall
Marshall

Re: Needed Advice on John Wayne Movies

Message par major dundee »

"McQ" isn't a western :num10 , among your list, "The horse soldiers" is my favorite

lasso
Capitaine
Capitaine

Message par lasso »

A Western with John Wayne you should absolutely try is HONDO, John Farrow 1953

it is one of his best :D
Little One
Chasseur de primes

Message par Little One »

lasso a écrit :A Western with John Wayne you should absolutely try is HONDO, John Farrow 1953

it is one of his best :D

Thank you, Lasso. I have tried "Hondo", but I preferred "The Searchers". Although I must say that it was somewhat strange to see John Wayne in a role where he wasn't somehow a hero. Anyway, my very favorites of his Westerns would have to be "The Big Trail" and "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon". I also really like "Rio Grande" and "Stagecoach".

Little One
Chasseur de primes

Message par Little One »

[quote="major dundee"]"McQ" isn't a western :num10 , among your list, "The horse soldiers" is my favorite

I am really looking forward to watching "The Horse Soldiers", especially since one of my great interests besides Westerns is the Civil War! Thank you for your feedback, Major Dundee.

COWBOY PAT-EL ZORRO
Texas ranger
Texas ranger

Message par COWBOY PAT-EL ZORRO »

Hello Little One... They all are good movies, RIO BRAVO was my late grandfather (on my father's side)'s favorite one... But all the titles you quoted are good ones.
RIO LOBO has some common points with it (same situations towards the end) but a good one... My very first John WAYNE movie when I was seven...

Hope you will enjoy...
Little One
Chasseur de primes

Message par Little One »

COWBOY PAT-EL ZORRO a écrit :Hello Little One... They all are good movies, RIO BRAVO was my late grandfather (on my father's side)'s favorite one... But all the titles you quoted are good ones.
RIO LOBO has some common points with it (same situations towards the end) but a good one... My very first John WAYNE movie when I was seven...

Hope you will enjoy...

Thank you, Zorro. And, Happy Birthday! :num1
Do you happen to remember if either of those films has any profanity in it? I only ask because there's lots of movies that are fine for most people, but I am particularly sensitive to swearing. When it's in a movie it gets stuck in my head way too easily and makes things tough. :?

Once again, Happy Birthday. As an English speaker I feel like a novelty on this forum, but you've been so nice to me ever since I joined. Thank you! :num1

COWBOY PAT-EL ZORRO
Texas ranger
Texas ranger

THANK YOU VERY MUCH...
Was busy yesterday and I only see your question today...
Well... As far as I can remember I am not sure there is much profanity and bad spelling (if I understand your idea) because most of John WAYNE 's movies are movies you can see with your family or friends... Not like Clint EASTWOOD westerns (even if I have nothing against him)...

So I hope I am not wrong.
Little One
Chasseur de primes

Message par Little One »

COWBOY PAT-EL ZORRO a écrit :THANK YOU VERY MUCH...
Was busy yesterday and I only see your question today...
Well... As far as I can remember I am not sure there is much profanity and bad spelling (if I understand your idea) because most of John WAYNE 's movies are movies you can see with your family or friends... Not like Clint EASTWOOD westerns (even if I have nothing against him)...

So I hope I am not wrong.
Thank you, Zorro. That's helpful. :num1

COWBOY PAT-EL ZORRO
Texas ranger
Texas ranger

If I can help, I'm glad to do so... :wink:
It might depend also upon your favourite period... I mean some people prefer 1950's western movies of our friend John WAYNE and others from the 60's or 70's...
kiemavel
Caporal

Message par kiemavel »

By "Profanities", you mean vulgarity or blasphemy ? You don't like to hear profanities like :sm19: :sm12: ? …sorry : I'm not an :sm11:

Now...Seriously. I don't recommand Rooster Cogburn. The french title is Une bible et un fusil which mean A bible and A Gun. Katharine Hepburn play a similar role as the one she played in The African Queen... :wink:
Little One
Chasseur de primes

Message par Little One »

Quote:
I don't recommand Rooster Cogburn. The french title is Une bible et un fusil which mean A bible and A Gun. Katharine Hepburn play a similar role as the one she played in The African Queen.

Thank you. I will keep that in mind.

MaryGH
Garçon d'écurie

Message par MaryGH »

I recommend Stagecoach (1939) it is considered John's"big break" as an A-list leading man. The movie is considered to be one of the greatest westerns if not the greatest (it is in the National Film Registry list at the Library of Congress). You cannot go wrong with a John Ford (who directed it) movie.

I recommend Rio Bravo which is very good too.

BTW I am new here and used to be employed at Old Tucson Studios (now a theme park) from 2006 to 2008 - many westerns were filmed there including Rio Bravo, McClintock, etc
Aventuras de Tom Tyler Blog

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

Petition to Turner Entertainment/Warner Brothers: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's surviving FBO silent film westerns

https://bit.ly/36hkCdk
Little One
Chasseur de primes

Message par Little One »

MaryGH a écrit :I recommend Stagecoach (1939) it is considered John's"big break" as an A-list leading man. The movie is considered to be one of the greatest westerns if not the greatest (it is in the National Film Registry list at the Library of Congress). You cannot go wrong with a John Ford (who directed it) movie.

I recommend Rio Bravo which is very good too.

BTW I am new here and used to be employed at Old Tucson Studios (now a theme park) from 2006 to 2008 - many westerns were filmed there including Rio Bravo, McClintock, etc

I have to agree with you on that one. John Ford has to one of the greatest directors of all time. And I absolutely LOVE "Stagecoach".

By the way, welcome to the forum! :num1 I hope you enjoy your time here. It's a great place with a lot of friendly people who love the Old West.

That's pretty awesome that you used to work at those former movie locations. Did any of the original sets still exist and did you ever get the chance to explore them?

MaryGH
Garçon d'écurie

Message par MaryGH »

Little One a écrit : I have to agree with you on that one. John Ford has to one of the greatest directors of all time. And I absolutely LOVE "Stagecoach".

By the way, welcome to the forum! :num1 I hope you enjoy your time here. It's a great place with a lot of friendly people who love the Old West.

That's pretty awesome that you used to work at those former movie locations. Did any of the original sets still exist and did you ever get the chance to explore them?

Thank you for the welcome! :) Some of the sets still exist (about 1/4) as there was a fire back in 1995 (arson) - you can read more about it here:

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-04-26/ ... on-studios

It was a tremendous loss to the film industry. Some new buildings were built though. It's still worth seeing if you're ever in the USA traveling.
Aventuras de Tom Tyler Blog

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

Petition to Turner Entertainment/Warner Brothers: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's surviving FBO silent film westerns

https://bit.ly/36hkCdk
Répondre

Retourner vers « Western in English »